Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Flower Bonnet

I kept seeing photos of adorable flower bonnets, but I couldn't find a free pattern... So I improvised!


Please be patient, and feel free to message if you find any errors or ways to better the pattern. PLEASE do not copy and sell the pattern, though you are more than welcome to sell items you make with the pattern (a link back or mention would be appreciated!)

I used worsted weight yarn, some cheap stuff and some really nice cotton for the yellow petals. The cotton definitely worked up better. I also used a J sized hook.

For the hat: Size 0-6 months (6-12m, 12-18m, 2-3 yrs)
Chain 38 (41, 44, 47).
Row 1: HDC in 3rd chain from hook and in each chain across – 36 (39, 42, 45) sts.
Row 2: Ch2, turn. Work HDC in each HDC across.
Repeat Row 2 until piece measures 6 (6 1/2, 7, 7 1/2) in. (15 (16.5, 18, 19) cm) from beginning. Bind off leaving long tail. Fold in half using long tail to sew one edge. I attached i-cords to the bottom corners to tie the hat on

For the petals: (make as many or few as you prefer, I used 6 -12 depending on the hat size)
Ch 6.
Row 1: sl st in 2nd ch from the hook. Sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in next ch, 4 dc in next ch, turn slightly to continue working on the bottom of the foundation chain and dc 3 more (7 total in that chain), dc in next ch, hdc in next ch, sc in next ch, sl st in next. (This is good for smaller petals, but for larger sizes, and because I like them curling in a little, ch 1, sc around, sl st in 1st st)
I attached all the petals, spaced evenly, than sewed them together so they would stand up .


2 comments: